Own a Google Home? Looking for tips on how to use it? You are in the right place! we have put together the largest collection of Google Home commands.
What is Google Home?
Google Home is a voice-activated device that allows you to get answers from Google, stream music, listen to the news, play podcasts, control home automation devices, and a whole lot more. It’s powered by the Google Assistant, a digital personal assistant software developed by Google. This system allows Google Home to understand natural language, permitting you to operate Google Home using conversational voice commands.
How to Use Google Home
You can initiate a conversation with your Google Home by saying “Hey Google” or “OK Google”. You can also launch Google Home by pressing and holding the middle-top portion of the device while you give your verbal command or question. This option provides the quickest feedback.
Getting Started with Google Home
New users should start with these commands:
- What can you do?
- What is Google Home?
Google Home Commands for Everyday Use:
- What does my day look like?
- What’s the latest news?
- What’s on my calendar today?
- How’s traffic to work?
- What’s the weather like today?
- How is the Dow Jones doing?
Below is a list of music commands. Google Home currently supports the following music services: Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, Google Play Music, and YouTube Music.
- Play Christmas music
- Play holiday music
- Play party music
- Play music from the 70s
- Play music by Beyoncé
- Play music by Ray Charles
- Play the album ‘Appetite for Destruction’
- Play ‘College Dropout’ by Kanye West
- Play ‘Roar’ by Katie Perry
- Play classical music on Spotify
- Play Madonna on YouTube
Control music playback “Pause”
- Pause playback
- Resume playback
- Next Song
- Previous Song
Adjust Volume “Decrease volume”
- Turn volume up
- Set volume to 7
- Set volume to 50%
- Increase volume by 10%
- Set volume to the maximum
- Max volume
- Minimum volume
- What is the volume?
Ask who or what is playing?
- “What song is this?”
- “What’s playing?”
- “What artist is playing?”
Play local music, news, and talk radio stations using these Google Home radio commands. Find available local radio stations on tunein.com and search for stations in your city or zip code.
- Play 93.9
- Play 88.5
- Play Majic 102.3
- Play New York 98.7
- Play New York 97.1
Here’s a list of podcast commands. Check out player.fm to find some great podcasts to listen to.
- Play Screen Junkies podcast
- Play ‘Now Playing – The Movie Review Podcast’ podcast
- Play video game podcast
Control podcast playback
- Pause podcast
- Resume podcast
Control episode playback
- “Next Episode
- Previous Episode
Ask who or what is playing?
- What’s playing?
- What podcast is this?
Here are commands for playing news on your Google Home.
- Latest news
- What’s the latest news?
- News Briefing
- Play business news
- Play political news
- Play sports news
- Play entertainment news
- Play NPR
- Play CNN
- Play Fox News
Get the latest scores, schedules, and standings with these commands.
- Play sports news
- Play ESPN Radio
- When do the Eagles play next?
- Did the Eagles win their last game?
- What is the Eagles record?
- What is the Sixers standings?
- Who won the last NBA Finals?
Ask for scores and results
- What was the score in the Sixers game?
- Did the Cowboys lose?
- Did the Steelers win?
Ask about upcoming games
- Who’s playing in the NFL today?
- When do the Flyers play next?
- Who do the Temple Owls play next?
- Who are the Cavaliers playing this week?
- Who are the Warriors playing next week?
Ask about league standings
- What is the NFC East standings?
- NBA Standings
Ask about the current weather and forecasts using these commands:
- What’s the Weather?
- Will it be sunny today?
- Will it rain today?
- Should I carry an umbrella?
Ask about the weather forecast:
Try these modifiers:
this afternoon | this evening | tonight | tomorrow | a specific day (e.g. Friday)
this week | this weekend | next week | the next 1-10 days
- Will it be sunny this afternoon?
- Will it be cold this evening?
- What’s the weather tomorrow?
- Will it rain this weekend?
- What’s the weather Friday?
- Will it snow next week?
- What’s the weather like over the next 5 days?
Ask about the weather in a specific location
- “What’s the weather like in New York?”
- “Will it rain in Paris this weekend”?
Health and Fitness Commands
Check out these health and fitness Google Home commands.
- Ask Fitbit Coach for exercises
- Talk to Fitness Tips
- Talk to Which Workout
- Talk to Nike Coach
- Talk to WebMD
- Talk to Virtual Nurse
Fun and Game Commands
Have fun with Google Home with these fun and game commands.
- Tell a joke
- Sing a song
- Entertain me
- Tell me a fun fact
Play a game
- What games can we play?
- Play Lucky Trivia
- Play Mad Libs
- Play SongPop
- Play Crystal Ball
- Flip a coin
- Roll a die
- Give me a random number from [number] to [number]
- Count to [number]
- Give me a quote, Give me an inspirational quote
Manage Alarms, Timers, and Lists
Use these commands for alarms, timers, and lists.
- Set alarm for 7am
- Set daily alarm for 6am
- Set alarm for 8am called ‘vitamins’
- Snooze for 15 minutes
- Cancel alarm
- Cancel vitamin alarm
- Set timer for 5 minutes
- Set 1 minute timer for jumping jacks
- Set 20 minute timer for casserole
- How much time left
- How much time left on my casserole
- Pause timer
- Resume timer
- Cancel timer
- Cancel casserole timer
- Add bread to my shopping list
- Add bread, peanut butter, and jelly to my shopping list
- What’s on my shopping list?
Calendars and Reminders
- Create an event
- Create a calendar appointment for Tuesday at 2pm
- What does my calendar look like?
- Set a reminder
- Remind me to call the doctor on Wednesday at 1pm
- Remind me to walk the dog at 9pm
Local Business Commands
Use these commands to find local business information such as addresses, phone numbers, and business hours.
- Is there a pharmacy near me?
- Find me a coffee shop
- Where are ATMs near me?
- What is the phone number of the nearest plumber?
- What is the address of Starbucks?
- What time is Best Buy open?
- When does Best Buy close?
Travel an Transportation Commands
- Find flights to Las Vegas?
- Find non-stop flights to Orlando?
- How much are flights to Miami?
- How much are flights to Nassau, Bahamas in November?
- How much are flights to Philadelphia in two weeks?
- How much are flights to Dallas next weekend?
- When is the next flight to Portland?
- Status of flight [flight name or number]
- Find a hotel
- Order an Uber
- Rent a car
- How’s my commute to work?
- How long will it take to bike to work?
Smart Home Controls
Here are a few Google Home commands to control your smart home. I comprehensive guide is coming soon!
- Turn on the lights in the kids’ bedroom
- Are the lights on in the living room
- Dim bedroom lights to 50%
- Change living lights to [color]
- Turn on the hallway camera
- Set the thermostat to 72 degrees
Make Phone Calls
- Call Bob
- Call Dad on mobile
- Call Best Buy
- Call the nearest plumber
Questions and Answers
Here are some general questions you can ask Google Home.
- Can dogs eat chocolate?
- How far away is the moon?
- How old is Betty White?
- How many countries in Africa?
- What are the benefits of apple cider vinegar?
- At what temperature does water boil?
- Who is Charles Barkley?
- Where is the Statue of Liberty?
- How far is Springfield Mall from here?
- Define per capita
- What does velocity mean?
- How do you spell Gypsy?
- What is 37 x 42?
- What is 20% of $80?
- What is the square root of 144?
- How many cups in a gallon?
- How many feet in a mile?
- How many pesos in a dollar?
- What is the dollar worth in London?
“How do you say, ‘Where is the airport’ in Spanish?”
Date and time
- “What is today?”
- “What is today’s date?”
- “What time is it?”
- “What time is it in Tokyo?”
- When is Easter?
- How many days until Christmas?
Follow us and Share
If you have Google Home commands and tips you would like to share, please share them in the comments section below. The best shares will be added to the list. If you have questions about Google Home, or if you would like for me to try a command for you, post your question or request in the comments section.
Want to keep up with the latest Google Home updates? Check out one or more of the following: