What’s better than a Google Home? A Google Home with a screen! Google Home Smart Displays are coming, and I can’t wait for them to arrive.
I’ve been holding off on buying any smart home products ahead of the Google IO 2018 event that’s taking place on May 8th, 2018. During this event, I’m hoping to get an update on Smart Display features and availability.
In the meantime, I started thinking about the things I want my Smart Display to do. Below you will find a list the features I’d like to see in these devices. Maybe Lenovo, LG, Sony, Archos, and/or JBL will see this post and implement some of my ideas. 🙂
My Google Home Smart Display Wishlist
Without further ado, here are the features I’d like to see in the new Google Home Smart Displays:
- Built-in alarm clock with battery backup. The Smart Display should have dedicated alarm clock hardware. The alarm should work even if there is a power outage or if the internet is down.
- Face Detection. The unit should be able to turn on and off when a face is detected. Face detection should also display user-specific content such as custom home screens.
- Custom Home Screens. Users should be allowed to create custom home screens, just like you can on an android phone. Users should be allowed to share or sell custom screens.
- Removable Display with a docking station.
- Very large Smart Displays. I’d like to see them as large as 24 inches or 32 inches. I could think of a few business applications for large versions of these devices.
- Can be hung from or attached to surfaces. I would love to hang one up in the kitchen.
- Multiple, On-screen Timers. This would really come in handy for cooking.
- Video Intercom. Enough said.
- Moveable, Rotatable Screen. Just like the G4 iMac.
Another cool option would be to create a Google Home that can be connected to a touchscreen monitor. This would provide another way to get a Smart Display with a huge screen.
Will You Buy a Google Home Smart Display?
Are you going to buy a Google Home Smart Display? Will you pre-order one? Want to share your own suggested features? Share your thoughts in the comments section below or in our Facebook Group.