Below is a comprehensive Cortana Commands list for Microsoft Windows 10 and Windows Phone 8.1 compatible smartphones. Cortana is a digital personal assistant app that allows you to interact and operate a Windows Phone using voice commands. Cortana is able recognize commands and questions spoken and in natural language, giving the app the ability to interpret an infinite number of commands. In this guide, I have provided sample commands to help you get started with using Cortana.
How to use the Cortana Commands List
To use Cortana with your Windows 10 computer, say the launch phrase, “Hey Cortana”, followed by your command or question (assuming you have a microphone). You can also click the microphone in the search bar.
You can access Cortana on your Windows Phone by using one of the following methods:
- Press and hold the search button: You will hear an audible tone indicating that Cortana is listening for commands and questions.
- Press and release the search button: A search box will be displayed allowing you to type-in a search query. You can also hit the microphone button to initiate a verbal command.
- Please the Cortana app: This action will also display the search box. Depending on how you configured Cortana, you may also see news or weather information displayed.
How to Force the Windows 10 Update / Upgrade?
Still waiting for the Windows 10 upgrade? You don’t have to wait. You can force the Windows 10 update yourself.
Microphones for Accessing Cortana on your Computer
Here are a few cheap microphone options for using Cortana with your computer:
- Samson Meteorite USB Condenser Microphone
- Samson Go Mic Portable USB Condenser Microphone
- Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 (I use this on one computer)
- Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone (I use this for work)
Full Cortana Commands and Questions List
While the list of Cortana Commands is huge, it is not all-inclusive. I encourage folks to use the voice commands below to come up with their own new commands. If you discover a cool, useful, or funny Cortana commands you would like to share, please use the comments section below.
Cortana Phone Commands
- Call Wife on Speakerphone
- Call Sister at home
- Call boss on mobile
- Call Tyrone
- Press [number]
Cortana Texting (SMS) Commands
- Text mom: What time is the birthday party?
- Message my boss: I have completed the budget report
- Send text to Tyrone: When are you coming to pick up my stuff?
- Show me messages from Tyrone
Cortana Calendar Commands
- Create a meeting with Tyrone at 2pm tomorrow
- Create a budget review meeting today at 4pm
- Change my 2pm meeting tomorrow to 3pm
- Add Jessica to my meeting with Tyrone
- Cancel budget review meeting
- What does the rest of my day look like?
- What appointments do I have tomorrow?
- What’s on my calendar for Friday?
- When is my next appointment?
- When is my next meeting?
- When am I meeting with Tyrone?
- Where is my next meeting?
- What am I doing this weekend?
- Remind me at 4pm to submit my time sheet
- Remind me to buy gas when I leave work
- Remind me to check the mail when I get home.
- When my wife calls, remind me to ask her to pick up the kids
- The next time I’m at the grocery store, remind me to buy eggs
- Remind me to buy concert tickets tomorrow
Cortana Note Taking
- Take Note: Pick up eggs, milk, bread, and cheese from the supermarket
- Note: Suspect is five feet tall, heavy build, and wearing a Dallas Cowboys jacket
Cortana Alarm Commands
- Wake me up at 6 am tomorrow morning
- Set alarm for 7:30 am
- Wake me up in 2 hours
- Cancel alarm.
Cortana Commands for Maps and Directions
- Navigate home
- Take me home
- How do I get home
- What’s the traffic like on the way to work?
- Get me directions to Union Station
- How far is Union Station
- Where am I?
- Show me a map of Washington, DC
Cortana Questions for Local Business
- Show me pizza restaurants nearby
- Show me the nearest gas station
- Find flower shop near my work
- Is there a Walmart near me?
- Get me directions to the nearest Starbucks
- Show me highly rated restaurants nearby
- Show me good Mexican restaurants nearby
- What restaurants are open at 10am nearby
- Give me directions to the second one
Cortana Weather Questions
- What’s the weather today?
- What’s the forecast for this weekend?
- What is the weather like in Philadelphia?
Cortana Flight Commands
- What is the status of flight AA 5557?
- Is America flight 76 on time?
- Play artist (Play Alicia Keys)
- Play song title (Play We are the Champions)
- Play genre (Play Jazz)
- Play playlist (Play Old School Rap Playlist)
- Play album (Play Ready to Die)
- Pause the music
- Resume the music
- Play the next track
- Play the previous track
- Shuffle the music
- What song is playing?
Random Cortana Questions
- Who is the mayor of Washington, DC?
- What’s the population of India?
- How old is Hulk Hogan?
- What should I not eat when I’m pregnant?
- Show me a picture of a pit bull
- Who is Kayne West?
- Find recipes for baked chicken breasts
Cortana Math Commands
- What is 21 divided by 7?
- Convert 3 miles to feet
Cortana App Commands
- Open camera
- Turn on airplane mode
- Turn on quiet hours
- Turn on WiFi
Cortana News Commands
- Show me today’s news
- Show me the top headlines
- Show me the local news
- Show me the international news
Cortana Questions for Stock and Finance
- How is the stock market doing today?
- How is Microsoft Stock doing today?
- How much is the Facebook stock per share?
- Convert 100 dollars to Canadian.
Cortana Sports Commands
See Cortana NFL Picks to see which NFL team Cortana predicts will win each week. See her win/loss record as well.
- Who will win Team A or Team B? (Who will win, Philadelphia Eagles or Jacksonville Jaguars?)
- When does the Philadelphia Eagles play next?
- What are the latest scores for the Philadelphia Phillies?
Cortana ships with the HTC One (M8) Phone for Windows that was released in August 2014. Preexisting Windows Phones will also get the Cortana app if they can be upgraded to Windows Phone 8.1.
How to Change What Cortana Calls Me
To set the name that Cortana calls you on your Windows Phone, do the following: Launch the Cortana app, select the Cortana Notebook button, select Settings, then select “change my name”.
In what countries/regions is Cortana available?
As of this writing, Cortana is available in the following countries/regions: Australia, Canada, China, India, the United Kingdom, and of course, the United States.
While you are here, enter for a chance to win a Windows Store gift card:
Looking for other Windows 10 Apps?
Check out these top Windows 10 Apps you should download right now:
Submit your Cortana Commands and Questions
Know of any cool, funny, or useful Cortana Commands or Questions not listed above? Want to share your experience using Cortana with Windows 10? Share them with us by using the comments section below.